Bla Blogs

Citadel - Cairo

Citadel - Cairo

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

An Amicable Anamoly in America - Day 7 of Ramadan

Variation is the spice of life. Or so they say. In any case I felt I should provide insight of a different kind on the 7th day of Ramadan. I asked a partner in crime across the Atlantic pond to deliver his thoughts on this month in spark notes format. I also thought it relevant to ask for a male perspective on the off chance anyone feels I may be presenting a rather gender biased overview.

So, after 24 hours to deliberate 5 questions, here's what our Amicable Anomaly in America had to say:

Q1 - A fasting Egyptian in bumblepoop US and A? What's it like? Notice anything fishy?

Fasting is the same anywhere;however, the scent of a full menu buffet at noon doesn't help at all. Not to mention the sound of a coke can crashing down the vending chute never having sounded so appealing !!! Anything fishy? Yes...everybody comments on how I am losing weight and why I am soo quiet all the time....oh....and they all say they`re tired!!!! Tired they say?!

Editor's Comments (EC): Other than the overwhelming use of exclamation marks our dear friend suffers from delusions of grandeur (mineur rather). In any case - good to know that regardless of where you are - be that a place where a full blown nationwide discussion about building a mosque near ground zero has everyone in a durka - fasting is the same.

Q2 - What do you with your lunchbreaks now?
I normally work through it which gives me an advantage, cause now i can leave at four rather than 5 or 5 rather than 6.... since i worked during lunch!

EC: I must be doing something wrong....

Q3 - Which vice do you miss the most?
I miss the company of women !!! Even though I know it is more of a sin than a vice, but something about a woman is definitely soothing ! (no pun intended woman !) Yet, after Ramadan, sometimes the less I`m around women, the happier I remain !! Strange how man is.....


EC: First off, let us salute his honesty. Secondly, ignoring the raging insult towards women, he does have a valid point. This month is about parting with our "less than stellar" ways. For one month we become better versions of ourselves and try our best to maintain that status beyond the 30 days. Some people manage to give up smoking, others quit drinking and the occasional man gives up women. Shortly. There are also those who just improve upon their already impeccable ways. We salute those and wish to count them amongst our peers some day.



Q4 - What practice do you wish to continue after Ramadan?
I wish to keep praying after Ramadan ! Same wish I have every year...


EC: Ramadan is almost comparable to making new year's resolutions - we all make them, most of us try to adhere to them, only very few actually achieve them. BUT - our intentions are solid. And given that intentions can win you a nobel peace prize these days...you never know!

Q5 - Which lucky charity is getting your vote this month?
The mosque always gets my vote...i already pay medicare, medicaid, and social security , and i wont see those dimes again i`m sure !!!


EC:

AOB -
what the hell is AOB ? What really grinds my gears holland, are these random acronyms that people give to a sentence e.g. Any other business " AOB " I mean really !!!


EC: Well I never said I picked the brightest fish in the pond.

No comments: