Bla Blogs

Citadel - Cairo

Citadel - Cairo

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Musings of a Muslim on Day 1 of Ramadan

03:30 the brick of a phone woke me up to the sound of none other than Bryan Adams ranting on about his six string in a place where summer exists. Unlike here where the only glimmer of summer is to be seen between the clouds and recorded by way of the tardy "sun"sets. The latter adding to my temporary chagrin.

I stumbled out of bed in my most ladylike manner nearly tripping over the dead cow I convince myself is a rug to complete a ritual my mother takes 2 hours over in less than 15 minutes. I ate, drank, showered, prayed and even checked my mail before finding my way back to the warm cave of a bed to try and get a few more hours in.

07:20 my phone insisted I once more vacate my bed. This time to work towards paying more taxes. Not a happy thought but in the spirit of this good month I conceded. Before I knew it my linnen pants were canvassing the wet seat of my bike en route to work. About 10 emails, 3 reports, 1 long meeting, 3 harrassment calls and a photoframe theft later I found myself running out of steam around 13:45. I was by no means really thirsty let alone hungry just very sleepy. More sleepy than I usually am around that time of the day building a fort of files to hide behind on my desk. After attempting to write the same 3 line email about 5 times to no avail, I pretty much knew very little was going to be achieved today. No worries I thought, 29 days to make up for it!

By 17:00 I was out the door and speeding (slowly cycling..) home. My neurotic Woody syndrome kicked in once home and I found myself doing laundry, cleaning the kitchen and arranging furniture. Luckily by 18:00 I was considerably tired again. Before I knew it I was taped to the couch enjoying the heat from the laptop and downloading rediculous free apps I know are worthless. My fellow fasting peeps have developed a Ramadan Booster Pro application to give you tips and hints on how to improve your 30 day religious stint. Unfortunately I was not going to pay 2.50 to have a software programme randomly tell me to feed my neighbour, do some light sport or visit an elderly home. I have my sister for that. And she's free. Mind you I did download the iPray and iQuran apps in the hope that somehow my iphone was going to make me a better Muslim this month. If Steve Jobs only knew what he started...

It is rather incredible how we suddenly turn into uber hypocrites this month. And by we I mean I. Let us not assume to know what others wish to make themselves believe. Somehow during Ramadan I suddenly become more aware of my roots, my faith, my bad breath and my absolute and overwhelming 11 months long hypocritical way of life. I will say however, we are all hypocrites, whether we like it or not. I sort my trash, I try to conserve energy, I even buy into the whole green electricity fad and yet I drive a fat 4x4 on asfalt because I loathe the prius and civic. Why did they have to make them look like hopeless school children you hated to be seated next to in class because they always slowed you down? Did I fail to mention that unfortuntely this month does nothing to abet my foul humour.



I digress. This month is brilliant. I stop everything I normally justify is fine (because it is) during the year, I don't even drink coffee and I certainly stay clear of too much sugar and spice. And of course I curb the social enthusiasm significantly. Why? Because I can. On some level I hereby prove - a bit like Aquinas really - that God has succeeded in crafting our futile existence. I am far removed from a perfect human specimen but I like to think that when it came my turn to be handed patience and will power I got a couple of scoops too many. We are quintessentially flawed because we choose to be flawed. During this month I can show to myself (the rest probably thinks I am scoffing down energy bars in a corner) that I can live on very little, that I can give alot and that I can be a better person. Its not just about not eating, this is by no means an Atkins diet gone wrong, its about the feeling that for a month you are connecting with over a billion people without having to sign up to a website and ignore ugly friend requests. Its about digging into your pockets and giving as much as you can (2.5% is the minimum when you think about it) to help. Its about realising the importance of family and good friends. The importance of keeping each other motivated to try that little bit harder.

19:30 I was on the football pitch for the first training of the new season. I ran two giant laps and wanted to collapse. I survived an hour of intense training and got into my fat car and drove to pick up dinner. It felt good to excercise despite the fatigue, the hunger and the copious litres of sweat I was sharing with my teammates!

I arrived 20 minutues to sunset at my sister's place with food and all. The three sisters sat together watching tv on mute, content to be together but also missing our mom like we do. 21:20 we broke our fast, prayed together and ate thai food. I am sure tom yom soup was a big hit back in the prophet's days. Driving back home my trusted iphone randomly selected to recite some Quran after Florence + the Machine. Now to make sure I find a big enough parking space.

No comments: