Bla Blogs

Citadel - Cairo

Citadel - Cairo

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Handling the Hastle - Day 8

Karma, fate, destiny, 'el maktoob'[the written], etc. The method in our daily madness incarcerated within buzzwords to make us feel less cheated. Or as some would have it, god's way of reigning in free will.

Wednesday morning my bike was stolen.

Nothing quite to kickstart the day like theft. All sins are quintessentially theft - we may rob ourselves of our health, steal another man's wife, deprive someone of their loved one - basically take what is not ours to take. The violation experienced is insurmountable at times. Well. Don't get me wrong, I don't have my panties in bunch over a stolen bike. It was a wonderful mode of transport and special in that it was given to me by my sister, but otherwise it remains naught but an object. I am more concerned with the act of theft. I wonder whether thieves justify their behaviour similar to how some of us justify taking those tiny bottles away from hotel rooms? Or simply gather that we, as owners of desirable items, are sufficiently well off that we may not miss such a commodity? Point is we work hard, reap the benefits of our labour and wish others to respect this, should they not and still be able to get away with it, then clearly something is dreadfully wrong.

How is this related to Ramadan? An enormous amount of self restraint was exercised when I discovered my bike was stolen by someone in the middle of the night with giant padlock pliers. One friend told me to see it as Ramadan charity. "Pretend you gave away, better yet, donated the bike". I am angry at the violation, but as my friend suggested, I do hope that whoever I "gifted" my fabulous bike with the red floral bike bag to makes good use of it and buys an even bigger lock. Or parks it beyond reach....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

re-write? ;)